Detained former military Chief of Staff Sami Anan transferred to ICU in critical condition

Detained former Armed Forces Chief of Staff Sami Anan was transferred to the intensive care unit at the Armed Forces Medical Complex on Saturday following a deterioration in his medical condition, according to his lawyer Dina Adly Hussein.

On Monday, Reuters quoted sources close to his family as saying that Anan, who has been detained since he announced his intention to run in the 2018 presidential election, is in a critical condition. The news agency reported that the former chief of staff is “on life support after suffering a chest infection and back problems that have impaired his ability to move.”

Hussein told Mada Masr that Anan, 70, was transferred from the military prison where he was being held in detention to the military hospital in the Cairo suburb of Maadi after suffering a stroke at least one month ago. Anan’s family was not available for comment, but Reuters reported the source close to the family as saying the former presidential hopeful had been in a stable condition when they visited him “about a week ago.”

Anan was arrested on January 23 of this year from his car and brought before the military prosecution several days after he published a video announcing his intention to run in the March presidential election. In the video, Anan demanded that civilian and military state institutions refrain from showing an “unconstitutional bias toward a president who might leave his chair in a few months.”

Hours after his arrest, the Armed Forces accused Anan of announcing his bid for office without first acquiring a permit from the military, aiming to incite a rift between the Armed Forces and the public and forging his end of service documents, in a televised statement.

It added that the military would pursue “necessary legal action” against what it called Anan’s “violations and crimes.”

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi was reelected for a second term in April with over 97 percent of the vote. His only opponent was last-minute candidate and Sisi supporter Moussa Moustafa Moussa, the head of the Ghad Party.

In August 2012, ousted President Mohamed Morsi forcibly retired Anan using the same decree which saw Sisi replace former Defense Minister Hussein Tantawi.


You have a right to access accurate information, be stimulated by innovative and nuanced reporting, and be moved by compelling storytelling.

Subscribe now to become part of the growing community of members who help us maintain our editorial independence.
Know more

Join us

Your support is the only way to ensure independent,
progressive journalism