Sadat metro station was once again closed on Tuesday for security reasons, the state-owned Middle East News Agency reported.
According to a source at the Egyptian Company for Metro Management and Operation, security officials requested that trains would not be permitted to stop at the metro station and that it be closed until further notice.
However, Transport Minister Hany Dahy later claimed that the decision to shut down the metro station was made out of concern for maintenance, rather than the assassination of late Prosecutor General Hesham Barakat.
During a phone interview with ONtv satellite channel on Tuesday night, Dahy said the station would be reopened within 24 hours.
“The government is not scared of the occasional terrorist attacks, and we will continue to serve the nation,” he said.
This comes on the second anniversary of June 30, which saw mass protests calling for the removal of Muslim Brotherhood President Mohamed Morsi. It also comes a day after the assassination of General Prosecutor Hesham Barakat in a car bomb that targeted his convoy in Heliopolis.
The Sadat metro station provides direct access to Tahrir Square and was reopened earlier this month, only to be closed less than two weeks later.
It is one of only two points in Cairo’s metro system where commuters can switch to other lines. The station has been shut since August 14, 2013, following the violent dispersal of pro-Brotherhood Rabea al-Adaweya and Nahda square sit-ins.
The closure resulted in chaotic congestion for commuters at Shohadaa metro station in Ramses Square. According to figures provided by the National Authority for Tunnels, an estimated four million commuters use the metro system to move around Greater Cairo each day.
During its closure, the Ministry of Transportation repeatedly called for its opening to alleviate the congestion and suffering of passengers.