Define your generation here. Generation What
Update: Ansar Beit al-Maqdes claims death of senior security official
Courtesy: Ministry of Interior Facebook page
 

Ansar Beit al-Maqdes, a radical Islamist militant group based in Sinai, allegedly claimed responsibility for the assassination of General Mohamed Saeed, head of the Interior Ministry’s technical office in a statement Tuesday.

The statement, which circulated on social media websites Twitter and Facebook, also threatened “Sisi and Mohamed Ibrahim and their assistants” with “revenge heading their way.”

Armed attackers shot dead General Saeed on Tuesday morning, a statement from the Interior Ministry said.

It reported that two men on a motorcycle stopped in front of the general’s car and fired at it in Haram street, west of Cairo. Security sources told privately owned Al-Masry Al-Youm that two bullets hit his head and body and that he died before reaching hospital.

 

Saeed’s driver told state-run newspaper Al-Ahram that he had picked him up at 8 am as usual to take him to his office at the Interior Ministry. The attack took place, according to him, some 200 meters away from the general’s house at an intersection where the driver had to slow down. He was then met by the attackers who started firing.

The driver added that Saeed has no security guards with him, which made it easier for the attackers to escape.

Al-Ahram said that security is investigating Saeed’s death, who, according to their sources, was killed near his house.

Saeed reportedly lives right behind the building of the Giza governorate.

Mada Masr confirmed that Saeed was serving in the State Security Services, and later at the Assets Investigations Authority.

A police officer, who preferred to remain anonymous, told Mada Masr that more assassinations, as well as bombings, are expected to take place against security targets.

Several bombings of security establishments have taken place in the last weeks, many of which were claimed by militant groups who oppose the ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July.

Ansar Beit al-Maqdes also clarified in their statement that the militant group doesn’t have accounts on any social media networks, an email address, or any communication of this kind with official or non-official entities.

“The only valid sources for statements are ‘Islamic Shomoukh network,’ and ‘Islamic Fedaa network,’ as the group is being subjected to a smear campaign using statements it never issued,” it added.

The statement ended with “a call on our people in Egypt to save themselves by staying away from police and security establishments.”

The group previously claimed responsibility for the assassination attempt against the interior minister in September, and the bombing of the state security buildings in Mansoura in December 2013 and in Cairo in January 2014.

AD